Thursday, January 28, 2010

TOOLS FROM MRS. TOOLE :)

Just when I think I have had enough of all this fitness and nutrition info, I find a whole new bunch of news to share with you all. That excites me. I mentioned last time I was reading what not to eat if you were going to be really strict with yourself and detox. Well there piece of information I liked in there (more really, but one I thought would be helpful to you all. Diets high in protein promote greater fat loss versus high carb diets. So, if you want a peice of fruit like an apple ( a carb), eat it with some peanut butter or a small peice of cheese. Thumbs up, yes I like that! If you want to eat some bread (whole grain of course), dip it in some olive oil! YUM.. Just remember, not too much of the good fat! Don't fool yourself..The diet guide also mentioned eating vegetable soups and stews that have a high water content, thus filling you up. If you've been reading this, you know I am a proponent of that. I was in the kitchen the other day trying to think of something for dinner (danger zone not to be prepared, but I managed not to sabatoge my self that day) and I came up with the most fantastic, filling STOUP (as rachel ray would call it). Healthy, very satisfying, very filling. I made a huge pot of it, and lived on it for a few days. It was so good, but of course, it you get bored easily, you could always freeze the rest in portions for yourself. Then simply take out as needed. My best advice to day is to cook more than you need of each healthy think you make, and freeze in portioned containers. You're cooking anyway, so just buy a little more of all and do it. Also, do not cook hungry. The best time to cook is after you've had a meal. I generally have no temptation to BLT when I do this. So, dinner at 4 p.m., then while you are cooking for yourself or everyone else, you won't pick. If you choose to eat another meal, most likely it will be a small one, and then have some nice hot tea with lemon! Perfect...maybe even a square of dark chocolate with it. I just bought some dark covered chocolate cranberries. Full of anti-oxidants and delish. Just portion out how many you think is reasonable, and close the bag immediately and don't go back!

Here is the Smoked Chicken STOUP recipe:

1 fully cooked whole chicken or turkey (smoked or rotisserie style from the store)
Celery Tops (a few)
2 chicken bouillon cubes
1 Can cream of corn
1 can Rotele style diced tomatoes (I used green chiles and jalepeno)
1 red pepper, diced
1 orange pepper, diced
1/2 small onion, diced
2 celery sticks, diced
2 cloves minced garlic
1 can white beans, partially drained
chopped basil

Remove chicken from the bones. Chop and set aside. Simmer bones in water for one hour. Add the celery tops to this broth for flavor.

Drain broth in colander, drain it into another cooking pot.
To this broth add remaining ingredients except basil and simmer for 1 hour
10 minutes before you're done, add chopped basil. Add more water if you need.

You will adjust the recipe as you need it, but it is very easy and very delicious.

You can also add some spinach when you add the basil. That brings me to my final tip: STUDIES HAVE SHOWN THAT PEOPLE WHO EAT A COMBO OF LEAFY GREENS AND BEANS HAVE THE LEAST WRINKLES. THEY ARE FULL OF COMPOUNDS THAT HELP PREVENT AND REPAIR WEAR AND TEAR ON YOU SKIN CELLS AS YOU GET OLDER.

Bon Appetite!

No comments: