Sunday, January 29, 2012

Mind Games

I haven't written in a while because i was trying to figure out if i was ever going to stop self sabotaging myself. When the fit club challenge started the second time around, i had my normal ups and downs. Then i decided to really go for it, enough is enough. So for a week i was doing very well. No wine, no sweets, just good stuff. I was amazed at how easy it was ONCE I SET MY MIND TO IT. Making the wrong choices was just not an option. My birthday was coming up, so i decided when i went away i would splurge. That was fine, but the problem was once i made up my MIND to splurge, it was hard to stop. I felt fine about having cake, eggs benedict, wine. But getting back to the plan was hard because i knew i would have to deprive myself again. This is the wrong mindset. Its why this time around i devised the plan to allow for a little sugar, a little dark chocolate, that kind of thing.

Good news is i am so back on the plan. It just took me a couple of days more than i thought. The first couple of days back is always the toughest. The cravings and the temptation to just start tomorrow....very strong. THe difference this time, i hope, is to realize that it doesn't really matter what i eat once in a while, but its my habits most of the time that count.

My other big hurdle that i have been dealing with a long time is that i am an overeater. I happen to be a great cook :) so when i make something delish, i eat way too much of it. Even if it is the healthiest dish on the planet, overeating is overeating. Calories add up, even it they are healthy.

Yesterday, being one of those "back" days, was tough because i was feeling hungry alot. Whenever that hunger crept up, i promised myself i would go for something healthy. I had these amazing looking chocolate chip cookies on the counter, and i didn't touch them. Now, according to my new philosophy, i really should be able to have one if i want it and move on. But being the first few days back, i didn't want to start what might be something that could escalate. So, i ate a healthy dinner of salmon and salad (asian style). THen i ate 2 grapefruits and an apple. I was still craving sweets so i had a hot chocolate with hot water and almond milk. I was good after that. THis morning, the scale was down, so i did somehting right. Maybe the grapefruits??? Or the two and a half hours of Zumba yesterday!!!

MIND GAMES: SHORT TERM GOALS
i have a new strategy. Rather thatn trying to get fitter for my trip to florida (and the beach!), i have decided that if i reach my short term goal (fill in the blank here) then i will be able to (fill in the blank). For me it is being able to purchase these designer jeans that promise the bet fit ever. Now i want to buy them when i achieve my goal, so all the more reason to get there. And i am not far. The point is keep your mind on the prize. Allow little treats along the way, but setting these short term goals will add extra motivation when you are faced with the every day temptations that are just a fact of life.

I leave you with a few healthy snacks you can go to instead of the cookie jar, all under 100 calories:

25 Pistachios (that's a good number, huh?)
1 cup pineapple chunks, with 2T shredded coconut (yum)
1/2 cup cherrioes and half cup fat free milk (or 35 calorie almond milk)

Have a great day! I am off to a birthday party with the kids, and i will pass on the cake, thank you. I will just make sure i eat before i go!

No comments: