Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Clean Plate or Clean Slate?

In my last blog I said next time I would write about revving up metabolism and the anatomy of the perfect salad. Both important topics, but I was unexpectedly drawn to the blog this evening. This blog is awesome for me. When I started it, I knew it would be cathartic and it is. Tonight I was once again faced with the clean plate syndrome. Not just mine, but the entire family's. My husband made me a delish cheeseburger. Not what I was planning to eat, but it was certainly divine. After I ate it, I didn't need any more food. Although it was a calorie bomb, I was happy because I didn't need to eat anything else. Then comes clean up: My daughter left 1/4 of her delish burger, some green beans and a mozzarella stick. Now if I was not practicing mindfulness, I would have cleaned her plate without giving it a second thought, almost like i was on auto pilot. NOW HEAR ME WHEN I SAY THIS: IF I WAS GENUINELY STILL HUNGRY, I WOULD HAVE NO PROBLEM EATING THAT FOOD. But i just mentioned that i was perfectly satisfied, and that was the truth. Why then do I and others like me feel the need to finish that plate? I stopped and I really thought about it. I thought about all the advice I give, and what I would write to you all. And I stopped myself. To those who have experienced this, they know a small victory is what i had. To others it will sound silly. It is all about habits and reading your body. That is how to have the health and body that you want. Not diets. The freedom to eat what you want is fantastic. Once you know that you CAN eat what you want, feel satisfied and not be a glutton. So, I slid the remaining food in the garbage. A CLEAN SLATE. Every day is a new challenge. An opportuity for a clean slate. I feel I have one tonight. Tomorrow all may change, but tonight I celebrate. And not with food. My goal is to not have this struggle. I tire constantly having to create a clean slate because of my habits. But I am happy to have the chance to make a healthy choice.

No comments: