Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Waking Up Hungry: It's a Good Thing

I am not usually hungry when I wake up. I think one reason is that I tend to eat big dinners. As an experiment I ate a light meal for a couple of days in the evening. Not surprisingly, I woke up hungry. Everything I have read has stated that eating within one hour of awakening is the best thing. It gets your metabolism going. First start out with a big glass of water (preferably either iced or hot with lemon, but stimulate your metabolism, and the lemon detoxes). I have found that besides a super hot flavorful cup of coffee, nothing is better in the morning than a cold ruby red grapefruit. So good, tasting and for you. Refreshing is the word. Remember the Grapefruit Diets of years gone by? They were right. The acids in grapefruits help slow your digestion, helping you feel fuller longer. The vitamin c can't be beat for cold prevention, lowering cholesterol, and decreasing chances of stroke, heart disease and some types of cancer. I section it out removing the pith, then squeeze the remaining carcass into a glass and drink it! Pure and delicious...Grapefruits also help to reduce the narrowing of your arteries and help to reduce blood pressure. Go for it. Once a day. Maybe section a few at a time so when hunger strikes you are ready.

No comments: