Monday, February 8, 2010

Superbowl: What Was Your Score?

So did you do it? Did you give in to all the convenient excuses and over-indulge on game day? What I want to know is who is behind the conspiracy? Everywhere you look there are game day recipes for high fat (highly delicious), mega calorie dips, spreads, chilis, subs. Why? Is it because Football players eat all these things and that is why they are so big? Are we supposed to aspire to that? Why is that one (namely me) feels like a failure or left out if I don't indulge in the hype-laden foods of the day? "Well, it's Superbowl Sunday...It would be UN-American not to eat and drink and celebrate THE BIG GAME!" Does it matter that I didn't even know who was playing until the morning of? The point is, like most Americans, I live for the excuse to indulge. So, with that said, I met it head on this time. Ok, I will have Buffalo Sauce and Bleu Cheese and even Tortilla chips, BUT MY WAY. I made the most delicious Buffalo Chicken Salad with Low Fat Bleu Cheese Dressing. I added scallions, peppers all colors, shredded cheese low fat, tomatoes,celery, carrots, cukes, sunflower seeds, red onion. I mixed the shredded chicken I pulled off my leftover baked chicken from the day before, with a bit of light cream cheese and the Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Sauce (the cream cheese mellows out the buffalo sauce a bit). Poured some light bleu cheese dressing. Then I crushed a handful of Lime Tortilla chips and sprinkled them on top. The result: Fantastic, Superbowl (Healthy) Decadence. I did not feel one bit deprived and had leftovers for the next day. Plan your work (food prep) and work your plan. Thanks to knowing myself and years of experience, I was able to identify a weakness approaching, and by planning wisely, I pigged out on Superbowl Sunday (on a salad!) I even stopped myself 3 bites after I knew I already had enough (not too bad for me! It was just so delicious!)

The kids were sick so I stayed home with them. I was so content with my meal, I fell fast asleep. One problem: I woke up at midnight with almost 4 hours of sleep under my belt: I will try next time: A handful of Sesame Seeds. Sesame Seeds are known to have trypyophan, the sleep inducing amino acid famously known in Turkey. I also rely on Melatonin which I buy at the drug store which works very well...and all natural. Another source of melatonin: Cherry Juice (Try Knudsen Just Black Cherry Juice with 100% juice and no added sugar :) (If i were you, I would cut it with seltzer and squeeze some lime or lemon juice in it!)

No comments: