Wednesday, November 4, 2009

A Life Style Change, One Step at a Time

Well, I can't say since I have last written that I have been perfect. I had a few slip ups and indulgences, some planned, and some not. But I do have good news: I am sticking to the plan. The plan includes mindful eating, (eating until comfortable, not full. Eating smaller meals throughout the day) daily weigh ins, Not drinking calories ( more on this!), taking a bit more time to do the things that matter to me. At 40 years old, you learn there can be a balance. Remember the changes we all need to make are lifestyle changes, not diets! Each day I remind myself, and it's working!

I have some stories to tell you. The first will be about the last few weeks. I have been really conscious as I mentioned in last blog. For the first time in my life, I truly know that I have to watch calories. I can't go into that mindless mode and expect it to all be OK somehow. I take responsibility for my actions regarding diet and exercise. So, I decided that I was going to go out with my friends. We had a great time, I knew I was going to eat and drink whatever I felt like having. I don't think I went overboard, which is the good news. I did know that perhaps I would gain a few pounds, and that I would need to get back on track the next day. I wasn't going to weigh myself the next day. But, I was curious, and felt that no matter what it said, I wasn't going to get upset because I knew I would go back to the plan. When I got on the scale I was shocked: It was the same as the day before. Wow, got to indulge and didn't feel the pain. I liked that a lot. So, I went about my normal routines. I let myself have maybe a bit more food than I would have if I my indulgent evening led to gain, but again, nothing crazy. The shocker came the next day: The scale was 4 pound more!!!!!!!!What was this? A delayed reaction? Never before had I experienced that. I was shocked, but determined to get back to the weight i like. I knew it would just take some mindful eating and an exercise class. THE KEY WAS TO BE AWARE AND NOT LET IT GET OUT OF HAND. Weighing yourself daily is a reality check, and helps you make the right choices. Two days later of no indulgences and healthy choices, and I am back to where I need to be. WHEW.

Now to another funny and telling story. I saw this guy I know who was overweight for as long as I had known him. He looked well rested and slimmer. My friend and I commented and he said he had lost 70 pounds! WOW, we asked how did he do it? He said he doesn't deprive himself of his favorites, just now he is eating less of them and incorporating exercise. (Sounds like my philosophy exactly!) So, I asked him to give me an example. He said he eats pizza, but now instead of eating 6 slices, he eats 2! Can you imagine? 6 slices of pizza at one sitting! No one needs that! Just goes to show that many of us could use a mindful eating course!

TIPS: SO, you can have your wine if you want. I mentioned earlier, don't drink any calories throughout the day and save the calories you would have used on lemonade, soda or juice, and treat yourself to ONE GLASS of wine. Red seems to be better for you, but if you like white, have white!

TIP NUMBER TWO: REDISTRIBUTE YOUR CALORIES: Often I plan out meals and half way through what I planned to eat I get full. If this happens, this is an opportunity. Save the food you were going to eat for breakfast, and eat if for your mid morning snack. Instead of eating more calories, you are just spreading out the ones you were going to eat anyway. This happened last night. I planned soup and some steamed turnips (They were fantastic, by the way) and half a tuna fish sandwich. By the time I ate half the soup and the sandwich with just a few turnips, I was full. So, I will now have lunch today with the leftovers of what was supposed to be dinner. I don't always get full that way, but hey, it works for me when I do. I also am fully aware that even if I am eating healthily, I don't want to eat more than I need to be comfortably full. If I eat more while I am feeling the full feeling, I will stretch the stomach, and will need more food next time to feel full. Once you start eating smaller meals you will see that you will be fuller with less food! That is the goal right there!!!!

40 SOMETHING BEAUTY TIP: Dark Circles and Bags under eyes: I will try these tips I just read: Vitamin K and licorice extract to minimize the darkness, caffeine to reduce swelling. Don't forget to put your eye cream in the fridge. The cold will also reduce swelling.

No comments: