Thursday, April 29, 2010

Wendy's Story and More...

Here it is, the long awaited Wendy's story...Well, when i am running around all day, I usually stop at Wendy's fast food place for a spicy chicken sandwich. With a sugar free lemonade, it comes out to about $5.50 more or less and about 470 calories and 16 G of fat. I think that is a reasonable amount of calories for lunch. I truly enjoy the sandwich, and with the drink, I feel full afterwards...Well, being cheap as i tend to be, I said to myself, Hey, I can get the dollar menu spicy chicken to go wrap and a drink and spend about $2 something...Well, i have had the snack wraps over at McDonalds, and they are very small, so I thought by getting two I would still save some money and be happy...I was looking around for the nutritional info while I was ordering but i was driving up and they only have it displayed in a corner inside the restaurant (NOT FOR LONG, more later on this!) The Spicy Chicken Go Wraps were delicious! But, I knew as soon as I saw them they were bigger than McDonalds. Of course, I would have been satiated with one of them, but of course, i had to eat both because they were so good. when i got home, i looked up the nutritional values online...NOT SO GOOD. The snack wraps were 320 EACH, with 15 grams of fat. Do the math and you come out with me eating 640 calories and 30 grams of fat vs my usual sandwich at 470 calories and 16 G of fat. HAD THE NUTRITIONAL INFO BEEN AVAILABLE THROUGH THE DRIVEIN, I COULD HAVE MADE AN INFORMED CHOICE. I wouldn't have chosen the cheaper option, but the healthier one! THE GOOD NEWS: STARTING FEBRUARY 2011, ALL RESTAURANTS in Maine WILL BE REQUIRED TO HAVE NUTRITIONAL INFO CONSPICIOUSLY DISPLAYED (ON MENUS, MENU BOARDS, ETC). I went seeking this info of WHY it wasn't there and found out it had been recently passed as a law. HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY There is a happy ending to this story! Lesson learned: Stop being so cheap :)

PRODUCTS I LOVE: My husband recently bought one of those new zero calorie, naturally sweetened SOBE waters enhanced with vitamins, etc. The difference between these and the other is that this is naturally sweetened. It is very good! You don't get that funny aftertaste like most low calorie drinks, especially if you drink it ice cold. I have been putting them in my freezer for a few hours, and drink them slushy! SO good and satisfying..I really liked the Yumberry Pomegranate.

SIMPLIFY: Here's a great, healthy dessert that you can whip up in literally 10 minutes. Melt 1 cup dark chocolate chips in the microwave. Stir in Craisins, Sliced Almonds (you can use dried blueberries, pecans, walnuts, whatever you like). By the tablespoon drop them on some wax paper. Chill for 5 minutes. DONE. They are so good but also addictive. Just because they are good for you (antioxidants) doesn't mean the calories won't add up. Great for when you get called upon to make cookies for a special event, cookie walk, etc!

No comments: